Copyright © 2005-2023 Biomatters Inc.
Biomatters, Geneious, and their respective logos are trademarks of Biomatters Inc. All other brands and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Use of Website
You may use Biomatters Inc’s websites www.biomatters.com and www.geneious.com to obtain information about Biomatters Inc and its products, to purchase software from Biomatters, to upgrade software, and to communicate with Biomatters Inc and other users of Biomatters’ products using the forums provided. Any other use is prohibited without the express written consent of Biomatters Inc.
Releases, Updates, and Support
Standard release purchases entitle the purchaser to a specified release (e.g., R9) and subsequent updates to the release (e.g., R9.1), but does not entitle purchaser to subsequent, unspecified releases (e.g., R10).
Time-limited subscription entitlements include access and support for any currently supported release during the time period.
Biomatters provides email and phone based technical support to authorized users holding a valid entitlement for the most recent release of the Software. Biomatters may choose at its own discretion to offer support to users who do not have an active entitlement.
Geneious supports certain Windows, Mac OS and Linux Operating systems. Details of the Supported Operating Systems for your version of Geneious are available on the Geneious support site. Technical support may not be provided for issues that occur on systems other than those listed.
Subscription Terms and Conditions
We sometimes enter into other kinds of ordering arrangements, but that would need to be spelled out and agreed to in an Order Form. During an active subscription term, adding more subscriptions is simple.
- Geneious reserves the right to make any amendments to a subscription, including modifications to the contractual terms and the Terms and Conditions to which the Authorized Users has agreed by using the Geneious product, provided that Geneious provides the Authorized Users with appropriate notice of such changes in accordance with the applicable provisions within the contract and Terms and Conditions.
- To obtain a subscription, you will need to (1) enter your billing account information, (2) select a subscription plan and (3) select the number of Authorized Users.
- Please note by purchasing a subscription, you (individually or on behalf of the organization or business entity who you represent) are agreeing to pay and authorize Geneious to automatically charge your credit card the applicable fee shown on the Order Form each year unless and until you cancel.
- In the event that an add-on or seat expansion occurs during an active subscription term, the pricing for such expansion shall be in accordance with the published pricing established in the Geneious pricing scheme that is accessible here. Geneious reserves the right to modify the pricing scheme at the discretion of Geneious, including pricing for mid-term additions, subject to providing notice to the registered member, as required by the terms and conditions.
- Except as otherwise specified in an Order Form, (a) all subscriptions shall automatically renew without requiring access to the Geneious interface or the execution of a renewal Order Form for additional periods of one (1) year; and (b) the pricing per Authorized User(s) during any such automatic renewal term shall remain consistent with the previous term, provided that in the event of any changes, Geneious shall provide the Authorized Users with appropriate notice. Geneious reserves the right to modify contractual terms upon renewal, subject to providing the “Authorized Users” with adequate notice in accordance with the applicable provisions within the contract and Terms and Conditions.
- Either party can give the other notice of non-renewal at least thirty (30) days before the end of a subscription term to stop the subscription from automatically renewing. Absent cancellation or non-renewal, your subscription will be automatically renewed and billed for an additional period of the chosen subscription (whether monthly, multi-month or annual) upon the expiration of the applicable period.
- Subscriptions that are billed on a monthly, multi-month or annual basis must be canceled prior to the applicable automatic recurring billing date in order to avoid being charged an additional fee for the applicable period. All subscription charges are not refundable or prorated upon cancellation.
- If your payment method reaches its expiration date and you do not edit your credit card information or cancel your account, you authorize us to continue billing that credit card on file including extending the expiration date until we are notified by you or the credit card company that the account is no longer valid. We encourage you to constantly update your payment method information or cancel your account should you wish to discontinue your membership with us.
- If you wish to cancel your subscription, you must contact Geneious on the 30th day prior to the commencement of the new yearly period by emailing email@example.com.
- Subscription fees are stated exclusive of any taxes, levies, duties, or similar governmental assessments of any nature, including, for example, value-added, sales, use or withholding taxes, accessible by any jurisdiction (collectively, “Taxes”). Registered members are responsible for paying all Taxes associated with its/his/her purchases.
At Biomatters Inc, we respect your right to privacy. We do not sell or otherwise allow third parties to use your data without your express consent. We do store data with reputable, industry standard cloud providers such as Salesforce.com, however this is a service they provide to us and they do not access your data. An administrator of your instance of our products or services may also be able to access the information you provide us.
What information do we collect?
When you browse our website we may collect information from a variety of sources, including setting cookies in your web browser. We do this with the aid of reputable, industry standard third party analytics providers, such as Google Inc.
When you purchase, download or run software from Biomatters Inc, we collect personal information to allow us to fulfill your order, provide technical support services and improve the software. Information we collect may include your name, address, telephone number, system details, IP address and email address.
With your permission, we may also collect non-personally identifying statistics about the functions you use in Geneious, and how often you use them. The information we collect may include data types that you have imported into or exported from Geneious, buttons you have clicked, types of calculations you have run and computational time associated with those calculations. The usage statistics do not include personal information or the contents of your data. This usage tracking is an optional setting, and can be turned on and off at any time by following these steps:
- Go to Tools > Preferences.
- On the General tab, select ‘Send anonymous usage information’ to turn usage tracking on, or deselect it to turn it off.
- Click OK.
What do we do with this information?
We use information collected while browsing our website to measure and improve performance and popularity of pages and processes. We also use personal information you voluntarily enter to facilitate our sales and support
We may use personal information collected via our website or software, such as your name, email address and system details, to notify you of important announcements regarding special offers or software upgrades. If you do not want to receive this type of information, you can be excluded from these announcements by notifying us via email.
Additionally, we use personal information collected via our software to provide customer support, manage licensing and improve Geneious.
We use information collected through optional anonymous usage tracking in Geneious to assess how people use Geneious. This information can help us understand what we need to improve, and on what areas of functionality we should focus in future development. We analyze the usage statistics on an aggregate basis only, and we do not correlate them with data about individual users.
Credit Card Information
Biomatters Inc uses a third party payment processor – Avangate. The payment processor securely handles all credit card details and informs us whether transactions succeed or fail. We do not receive any credit card information whatsoever at any time.
Review and Correction of Personal Information
At any time, you may review or correct your personal information in your user profile. You may also request that we remove your registration data and personal information from our system; however, Biomatters Inc reserves the right to provide free technical support and software upgrades only to registered users.
Security of Information
Biomatters Inc will take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, unauthorized alteration, destruction or other malfeasance.
Further Information for Citizens of the European Union (EU)
The EU has adopted a privacy directive substantially regulating the privacy rights of citizens of the countries of the EU. Biomatters Inc therefore provides Citizens of the EU the following information:
Biomatters Inc is located in the United States. Any information that you provide to us will be transferred out of the EU to New Zealand or the United States. By providing personal information to us, you are consenting to its storage and use as described herein.
Voluntary Product Accessibility Template
The Voluntary Product Accessibility Template, or VPAT, is a tool used to document a product’s conformance with the accessibility standards under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Open Source Software
This page contains download links for the source code of third-party open source software that is included with Geneious or with some Geneious external plugins.
The source code is included here when required under the terms of the license under which the third-party software is being distributed, including some distributed under terms of the GNU LGPL and GPL licenses.
These files contain any modifications made by Biomatters to the original third-party source code.
The file LICENSES.TXT that is installed with Geneious contains the licensing terms of the relevant third-party open source software that is bundled with Geneious.
Each plugin that bundles such third-party open source software includes a similar file that documents the licensing terms of that software.