Geneious Prime connects you to external scientific databases
- Broad Institute
- InterPro Scan
- PlasmoDB and PiroplasmaDB
Submit sequences directly to GenBank
Geneious Prime features a GenBank Submission plugin that simplifies the process of submitting sequences, genomes, features, primers traces and more.
BLAST sequences locally or against NCBI
- BLAST search against sequences stored in various online databases at NCBI with results returned directly into Geneious Prime
- Set up a local database with all your sequence data and BLAST it locally with our custom multi-threaded BLAST implementation
- Batch BLAST an arbitrarily large data set against a local database and bin on the basis of ‘hit’ vs ‘no hit’ to keep only those sequences that you want
Intuitively search your own database
- Search downloaded content by any metadata field or use the dynamic filter box to fine-tune your search results to rapidly find the documents you’re after
- Search for sequences based on any of the available meta-data fields including Accession ID, organism name and taxonomy
- Create boolean searches to enhance the specificity of your searches
Find the journals in PubMed specific to your research
- Search PubMed by author, title or abstract content and have the references saved directly into a local folder
- Automate hourly, daily, weekly or monthly searches for any data type. Have the results delivered to a local folder.
BLAST Searching – Learn how to BLAST your sequence against GenBank, NCBI or custom databases to find similar sequences.
GenBank Submission – Learn how to correctly format sequences and alignments for submission to GenBank using the Geneious GenBank Submission tool.
Accessing GenBank – Learn how to access information stored in the GenBank database through the Geneious interface.
Plant Molecular Evolution – Annotate plant DNA sequences using BLAST and multiple alignment, then learn how to read a phylogenetic tree to explore genetic distance.
More Geneious Prime Features
Assembly and Mapping – De novo assembly or reference mapping using industry leading algorithms, including TopHat and Velvet.
NGS Visualization and Analysis – Comprehensive analysis of data, including genome browser, contig visualization, SNP calling, and RNA-Seq expression analysis.
Alignment – Perform pairwise and multiple alignments of DNA or protein using trusted algorithms, including MAFFT and ClustalW.
Molecular Cloning – View plasmid maps, automatically annotate vectors, find restriction sites; digest, ligate, and perform Golden Gate, Gibson, and Gateway cloning.
Import Data – Import and export most industry standard file formats.
I am using Geneious daily. For me the best feature is the ability of this software to easily archive bibliographic study and to keep it in front of my eyes.
It is so easy to search and then import GenBank files along with their annotations. The ability to stack information from various sources onto the same display for comparison purposes is invaluable. This may be in the form of multiple alignments or a a GenBank BLAST file with annotations superimposed on top of a protein sequence with all of the predicted protein properties displayed.